Services for South African citizens

Travelling with child

(12)(a) Where parents are travelling with a child, such parents must produce an unabridged birth certificate of the child reflecting the particulars of the parents of the child.


Issued to: South African citizens 16 years and older

Tourist or Maxi Passports

South African tourist passports are issued to South African applicants who are 16 and above and are valid for 10 years. South African tourist passports are not renewable. On their expiry, new tourist passport applications will have to be filed.


- BI 73 Passport Application form; with signature and left thumb print.
- BI 9 form – Full set of fingerprints.
- BI-529 form
- Divorce decree. To be provided by all female applicants who are divorced and wishing to assume a new surname;
- Written Request to Change Surname. This is provided by all female applicants who are: recently married and want their surnames to be amended accordingly, retaining their maiden surnames and those who want to use double – barrel surnames;
- Notarized Copy of South African Identity Book or Birth certificate;
- Notarized certificate of Naturalization. To be provided by all applicants who are naturalized South Africans.
- Loss of Passport Report and Police Report for Loss of Passport. To be provided by all applicants who have lost their passports and are applying for a new passport;
- 2 Passport photos;
- CZK 860 fee for processing, CZK 1285 fee for processing maxi passport.

Child Passports

Child passports are issued to children who are fifteen years and below. Children passports are not renewable. On their expiry, new passport applications will have to be filed.
The requirements for their passports are as follows:

- BI 73 Passport Application Form.
- The passport application form has to be signed by the parents of the child concerned. Single mothers can sign as the sole parent of their child
- BI-529 form
- Notarized Copy of South African Birth certificate;
- CZK 860 fee for processing
- Letter of permission to issue a passport. To be provided in a case where parents of the child concerned are divorced and the other one only has physical custody. The parents not having custody but allowed - by the court, to have access to the child, can provide the requested letter of permission. In terms of South African passport regulations, the parent who has sole custody and sole guardianship can sign passport applications of their children on their own.
- 2 Passport photos.

Temporary Passports 


Please be informed that Department of Home Affairs will no longer issue Temporary Passports as from 01 September 2014. South African citizens travelling abroad as well as to the neighbouring states are refused entry into a number of countries when travelling on Temporary Passports. This has resulted in accusations and claims against the Department in cases where citizens are refused entry into a particular country despite the Department having issued the Temporary Passport.

A Temporary Passport was initially issued as an interim travel document due to longer turn-around times taken to issue a permanent ten (10) year(s) tourist passport. This turn-around time has improved drastically rendering issuance of Temporary Passport redundant. Finally, Temporary Passport have been abused for corruption purposes and this threat remains, which puts South Africa at risk of their travel documents being unreliable and not trustworthy. Elimination of Temporary Passports aims to also remove the risk.


Identity documents

South African citizens and permanent residents, 16 years and older, must be in possession of an identity document.  Persons applying for their South African ID book for the first time must lodge their applications through their nearest Department of Home Affairs in South Africa.  Missions abroad can only process applications for re-issuance.


- Form BI-10, Application for the Re-Issue of an Identity Document
- BI 9 form – Full set of fingerprints.
- BI-529 form
- Two (2) recent photographs; head and shoulder measuring 40 mm x 30 mm with applicant's name and ID number written on the reverse side
- CZK 300 fee for processing
- Certified copy of applicant's old ID Book or birth certificate
- Copy of Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Spouse's Death Certificate, if applicable.

Birth certificate

Full birth certificates are issued upon request to persons who are South African citizens and whose births were duly registered in South Africa.  These persons have obtained their citizenship as follows:

- Birth in South Africa to South African citizens (by birth, naturalization) or foreigners who have valid permanent residence or work permits in South Africa.
- Birth registration for those who were born abroad to South African citizens:

This documents once issued includes the parent's particulars of applicant. The requirements are as follows:

- A duly completed Form Form BI 154 (Application for birth certificate)

- An administrative fee of CZK 160 in cash,
- BI- 529
- Copy of passport or ID

Full birth certificates are issued in South Africa and requires a processing period of 6 months

Registration of birth

(those who were born abroad to South African citizens)
Application for birth certificate and passport can be submitted together with registration of birth

Required documents:

- BI-24 (notice of birth - medical and health use only) – must be completed in black ink
- BI-24 (notice of birth)
- Copy of birth certificate of child (officially translated if not in English)
- Copy of marriage certificate (officially translated if not in English)
- Copy of ID of both parents (or passport copy)
- Affidavit from Czech parent that he or she agrees with the registration of child in South Africa
- Form BI 154 (Application for birth certificate)
- BI- 529 to be added to all applications
- BI 73 (passport application)
- Fee for birth certificate application: Kc 160
- Fee for passport application: Kc 860

Marriage in the Czech Republic

Documents needed:

A foreigner who desires to get married in the Czech Republic has to submit following documents.

- birth certificate
- document about citizenship
- letter of no impediment (validity maximum 6 months)
- letter of no lawful objection in regards of South African law
- proof of Permanent residence (eg. from population register in S.A.)
- (no. 2, 3, 4, could be in one document)
- death certificate if a foreigner is a widower/widow (this document does not have to be translated if mentioned in egg. letter of no impediment)
- divorce certificate if a foreigner is divorced
- proof of valid permit to stay in Czech Republic issued by the foreign police not older then 7 working days (forms at foreign police)
- proof of identity
- Documents issued in another countries must be legalized. (kind of legalization will be specified according to a foreign country by Czech authorities)

Authorized translator must translate foreign documents.

If a foreigner does not speak Czech a competent interpreter must be present at the marriage ceremony.

Legalization of documents
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Hradčanské náměstí č. 5
Praha 1
Tel: 22418-2153

Legalisation/Authentication of South African Documents

All South African documents must have APOSTILLE for use in the Czech Republic.

Legalizing or authenticating documents means that official documents are affixed, sealed and signed with an Apostille Certificate (where countries are party to The Hague Convention of 5 October 1961)
Documents for legalization can be sent to Department of Foreign Affairs by the Embassy.

Dual nationality


The Amendment Act repealed section 9 of the South African Citizenship Act, 1995 as of 15th September 2004, which regulated the use of the citizenship or nationality of another country by a South African dual citizen.
This inter alia means that the system of exemption/letters of permission to make use of a foreign passport has now been terminated. No further applications in this regard may therefore be processed.
The repealed section 9 has been replaced with a section as specified in the new section 26B. Section 26B reads as follows:
“ A major citizen who enters the Republic or departs from the Republic making use of the passport of another country; or while in the Republic, makes use of his or her citizenship or nationality of another country in order to gain an advantage or avoid a responsibility or duty, is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding 12 months”.
From section 26B you will notice that it will henceforth be an offence for a major South African citizen to enter the Republic or to depart there from making use of the passport of another country. In other words making use of a passport other than a South African passport.
Furthermore, it will also be an offence for such a citizen, while in the Republic, to use his or her foreign citizenship or nationality to gain an advantage or to avoid a responsibility or duty.
In essence, the Amendment provides that a South African dual citizen can use his or her foreign passport (citizenship/nationality) freely outside South Africa, but in South Africa, may not use his or her foreign nationality or citizenship to gain an advantage or to avoid a responsibility or duty which he or she, as a South African citizen, would otherwise not have been entitled or subject to.

Application for police clearance certificate

Tel: +420-267-311-114
Fax: +420-267-311-395

South African Embassy
Ruska 65
100 00 Prague 10
Czech Republic

Home | SA History | Cestujeme do Jizni Afriky | Consular services | Visas and Premits